March madness is on, baby, and I say that in the best possible way and also in a way that has nothing to do with basketball. I’m talking about a crazy fun teaching schedule that has taken me from Choccolocco (love that name!) to Birmingham to Athens – all in Alabama. I may be a Georgia girl but I love this state and have had the best time feeling like I’m finally getting to know my way around it a bit by way of her churches. No better tour guide in my estimation!
I don’t have the first picture from Choccolocco because I am lame and forgot my camera. My sweet friend Metha (who used to live in my town) invited me to come be a part of their first ever women’s day called, “I Simply Live for You”. I was thrilled out of my mind to see Stacy and Charlotte from Ranburne (we are blog friends turned real friends) and also to learn that Debbie, that pastor’s wife, and her husband used to serve in a church in my hometown in Georgia. Debbie had invited two of her Chattanooga friends and we learned we had several common friends also. Small world, anyone?
Last week I headed down to Gardendale Baptist to teach at the Minister’s Wives Luncheon that is held during our SBC State Evangelism Conference. The women’s ministry of Gardendale did the table scapes and I fell in love with the chandeliers hanging over some of the tables they found at Hobby Lobby. That is how unimaginative I am. Never thought of decorating a table from the ceiling! I’m still so mad that I don’t have pictures. Now I love talking God’s Word to anyone who will pull up a chair and listen, but I don’t think I have to tell you that hanging out with my sister PW’s is my special affection. I took a new friend along named Courtney. She is a darling new pastor’s wife from our association who has two of the cutest little boys ever. She reminds me so much of me when I was her age – bless her heart. And if I had a nickel for every time I said to her, “When I was your age…” I would have a pocket full of nickels. And then it occured to me that I am old. Dern. But it was an altogether great day. My DOM’s wife, Patricia was also there which made the time even more special. Love my Alabama girls!!
And then this past weekend, I drove to Athens, AL to be a part of the First UMC annual women’s spring luncheon. Oh my word, where do I begin. The pastor’s wife, Sherri, has been a blog friend for some time. Like I told the girls that day, you can often tell the personality of the church by the personality of their leaders (bless my church’s heart) and I wasn’t wrong this time. Sherri is a DYNAMO and this luncheon was perhaps one of the most over the top, Christ-centered, well-done, beautifully decorated, meticulously planned and executed events I’ve ever attended. Worship was led by the group Sister Grace. They had bongos! And a tambourine! And shakers! And rhythm! I’m hoping to be a back up tambourine player at some point. Except I have no rhythm.
I also got to see my girl Dedra Herod (Just a Chick) who drove over and came with her Athens friend (and now my friend) Angela. I just love it when my blog friends jump out of my computer and into my real life. You just can’t have enough sisters.
I do have a few pictures from this one but only because I stole them off Sherri’s Facebook. You’ve just got to see a couple of these tables. They were all fabulous so I’m not trying to play favorites, but I’m connected to the internet on my phone right this sec and I’m seriously doubting these pictures are going to load correctly. Let’s try it.
1. This floral center piece had a purse, hat, and shoes purchased from a thrift store. The brilliant designer COVERED THEM IN MOSS. Can you see these are sling back, peep toe wedges? Have you ever? I told the ladies I’m going to start covering old stuff in my house with moss if it can make it look this cute.
2. The tables each had names and this one was called, “This Old Thing?” Sherri said they needed more tables than anticipated so the girl who put it together truly threw it together last minute. Her spur-of- the-moment looks better than my planned-for-six-months.
3. The church has a knitting ministry and they presented me with a scarf/shawl that is so incredibly soft and warm. It’s my new favorite thing. THANK YOU, ladies! You have no idea how I treasure the time it took you to do this with me in mind!
4. First UMC has a thriving women’s ministry and I’m so jealous of their merch. That is a sin by the way. My jealousy, not the merch.
5. The Dynamo herself, Sherri. Planning this one luncheon would have put me under for 6 months and she had another breakfast event the very next day. She told me she lives from event to event. My reply? That’s because it’s your gift, girlfriend! If it energizes instead of sucking the life out you then you know you’ve found your God-given calling. That doesn’t mean our God gifts don’t make us physically tired but they do recharge our soul. Anyone feeling me on this one?
6. This table I LOVED. I don’t have a clear pic but the silver containers were filled with vintage jewelry from the hostesses family collection. I asked her to please not check my pockets if anything came up missing.
All of you girls, from Choccolocco to Birmingham to Athens, thank you. You have no idea the part you play in what God is doing in my life. Romans 1:11-12 speaks my heart clearly, “I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong— that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith.” I am full.
Praise to God and the sisterhood of faith!
The table settings are superb! This is the sort of thing my soul loves to design! Thanks so much for sharing… I love love love getting fresh ideas to stimulate my creative cortex! I so wish I could attend things like this more often… and expecially in the south this time of year (it’s been very cold here in the north). I always enjoy your posts, you are such an encouragement! God bless you today!
Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife Reply:
March 7th, 2011 at 4:15 pm
girl I know. I came home wanting to cover all my old stuff in moss. thanks for your kind words!
Everyone was still raving about u and the message u brought to us in Athens!!
Loved meeting u
Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife Reply:
March 7th, 2011 at 4:16 pm
Loved meeting u too Angela! Any buddy dedras is an instant friend of mine;)
This is my first visit to your blog, and I am so glad I stopped by! I have always joked with my girls that my spiritual gift was decorating for youth banquets! I love doing that sort of thing and my heart raced when I saw the adorable table scapes! Oh the wheels are really turning now! thanks for sharing your travels with us…even if we didn’t get to hear you speak1
Come to Jackson :) So very proud of what you are doing!!! Keep at it. He is beautiful in you!
I take it as a compliment that I remind you of you! Thanks for taking us with you!